It’s spring! And that means my recipe brain is shifting focus from the comfort foods of winter to the favorites of spring and summer. We’ve all got our go-to picnic summer side dishes; potato salad, macaroni salad, pasta salad, baked beans, and so on.
Stumbling across a new staple for your summer recipe collection is always welcome. When there is a twist that makes it stand out from the expected… even better!
I believe that’s what you’ll find with this broccoli and cauliflower salad.
Instead of the traditional finely chopped broccoli salad with shredded cheese, I like to keep the pieces in this salad a bit over-sized. The addition of cauliflower gives it the twist you’re looking for. It’s quick to assemble and gets better as it sits, so whip this together and get outside to enjoy the warm weather with your family! Make this for your next picnic!
- 1 head broccoli, washed and cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
- 8 oz sharp cheddar, cut into small cubes
- 8 slices of bacon, crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup craisens
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mayo
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- Combine the broccoli, cauliflower, cheddar, bacon, cherry tomatoes, red onion, craisens, almonds, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, sugar, and white vinegar until combined.
- Pour mayo mixture onto the broccoli mixture and stir gently until the above ingredients are tossed and evenly coated.
- Serve, or refrigerate for four hours for best results – allowing flavors to combine.